Tuesday, September 30, 2014

QUILT SHOW TIME!!!!


THE QUILTS  for this year's annual show are going up today and will be on display in the library throughout the month of October!  We are proudly showing off the work of many talented local quiltmakers!

After enjoying the quilt exhibit, be sure to check out our NONFICTION books about quilting (Dewey Number 746.46) or go upstairs to the FICTION section to find some of the Elm Creek Quilts series of novels by Jennifer Chaiverini.

I have sewn a few quilts over the years, but have yet to finish one to display in the library's show. For instance, the star block here is from a baby quilt  I was designing for my grandson Desmond; I started it before he was born, and he is 3 years old now, and the quilt is still in pieces!   The photo to the left is a project I have been working on the past few months, and no it isn't done yet either!


I do have an antique (circa 1890's) velvet crazy quilt top in the library display cases (along with other vintage quilts).  I purchased the quilt from an antique shop in the late 1990's-- with the intention to embroider the top and finish the quilt, which is yet another unfinished project!  I took the quilt top to be appraised at Antiques Roadshow last year in Knoxville, TN; they verified the date but my pretty quilt isn't worth much more than the 100$ I paid for it. Still, as I said,  it is a pretty thing.


 Despite all my own procrastination and lack of productivity, I do  love having the quilt show in the library. I am always so impressed and inspired by the creativity of our local artists! It makes the library all that more inviting and colorful and cozy.

And, all these quilts do make me quite nostalgic-- for NAPTIME!