Thursday, September 11, 2014

READ AN EBOOK

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2014
FIRST INTERNATIONAL READ AN EBOOK DAY

This will be a day to celebrate and raise awareness for reading on digital devices. Readers around the world are encouraged to take part in the largest digital reading event by choosing from millions of free eBooks from their local library or purchasing an eBook from a retailer online.

Throughout the day on September 18, OverDrive will be celebrating the holiday by giving away tablets and devices every hour on www.readanebookday.com and through social media to readers who tell their story of what eBooks mean to them. Readers can use the hashtag #eBookDay on Facebook or Twitter to tell their story, or comment directly at http://readanebookday.com/

HEAR THAT? YOU CAN WIN AN E-READER!!!!

If you are new to eBooks, be sure check out http://help.overdrive.com/ and learn about borrowing, downloading and syncing eBooks. You can also access information via the EBOOKS tab and links on our library homepage.

To make your digital reading even more convenient, OverDrive will be releasing a NEW APP for Android, iOS, and Windows  (to be released Sept. 15, 2014)! The new version will make setting up your device even easier and no longer require authorization from Adobe. Another feature of the new app will allow Epub formatted books to be returned early before their due date.

This is all good news for tech savvy patrons who want to get the most from all the digital resources DPL has to offer.

 Now, for your amusement...CONFESSIONS OF A LOW-TECH LUDDITE:
I'm an old school kind of gal when it comes to reading; I like hard copy, “real” books.  I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the eBook revolution, and mostly because my job in the library required me to become familiar with the evolving technology. It's thanks to our patrons, I've been introduced to the wild world of of eBook downloads and apps for Kindle, Nook, and Android.

I finally gave in and purchased a NOOK e-reader for myself about a year ago. I've read maybe a dozen eBooks since then. Of that number, I checked out most of them via our digital collection in CameliiaNet, and bought a couple others online from Barnes & Noble. (Just so,you know where my loyalties still lie, In comparison, I've read over 100 print books during the same time frame.)

However, giving credit where it is due, there are some positive things I have to say about my limited eBook experience:

--The first eBook I purchased to read was a 1500 page biography, and I readily admit it was so much easier to handle my Nook and not have to tote a physical book of that size around with me.
--During my lunch break from the library, I often like to go walk at Delano Park. I have on occasion used my Nook to multi-task and read while I walk. The e-reader is less cumbersome than holding and flipping pages in a print book would be during exercise. (and since Delano offers a mile path to circle around on, I'm not too much of a danger to myself or others while reading on the move.)
--There are some books available in our library catalog which we have available ONLY in eBook format; so this is the only way to read them and not miss out.
--I do like the GloLight feature on my Nook; it makes reading in the dark or dim light possible.
--I’ve worn glasses since a very early age, and my eyes aren’t getting any better as I get older. I've noticed that sometimes font size or style in print will give me issues with readability. My e-reader has the capability to easily enlarge the print, and without the added bulk of a hard copy Large Print volume.

Even an old print diehard like me can see that there are positive aspects and advantages to digital!

So, celebrate  International Read An eBook Day on Sept. 18th!!! I'll even fire up my Nook and join you.  But please come to the library any day and check out what’s in the stacks as well.  :)