Sunday, October 16, 2016

Virtual Quilt Show

This entry is from Stephanie Cates. 
Earlier this year we were fortunate enough to be able to host four of the magnificent Quiltmakers of Gee’s Bend here at Decatur Public Library.  Rhonda and I partnered with DCS teacher Beth Young (and many others) to bring the ladies here and help make their stay as easy and pleasant as possible.  When we drove them back to Gee’s Bend, they invited us into the Gee’s Bend Quilt Collective where we were able to look at the hundreds of quilts and quilted items available for sale.  We also got to prolong our visit with these amazing women!  I couldn’t leave without purchasing something, but due to their world-wide fame I could only afford a smaller one.  And if I had to paw through pretty much every stack of quilts in the place, that was just a bonus!  Ultimately I found a small quilt that will grace my wall (protected by a shadow box, of course) that makes me smile and lifts my heart.