Saturday, October 8, 2016

Virtual Quilt Show

This entry is from Heather Ward.The name of this quilt is Aloha. Quilt story:  A friend of mine was recently widowed, and she wanted to have a  quilt made in remembrance of her husband using some of his favorite shirts. He was known for wearing Hawaiian shirts, and so I was given about 20 such shirts to work with.  I decided to make a patchwork of squares, but bordered with traditional Hawaiian applique. Quilt size is about 72” square. The center patchwork was machine pieced; the applique was hand stitched and the quilt was hand quilted. It took me quite a while just to find the pattern and lay out the piecing the way I wanted, and then with the handwork, it took me a total 4 months work to finish the quilt. I know it was because of the associations and memories the fabric held, but I’ve never had my quilts or artwork move someone to tears before. That made it a very special and successful  quilt project for me, and also for the recipient.